Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Pan, Trans, Non-Binary, and further Diverse Sexualities and Gender's have mental health concerns, unique to their population group.
At Obsidian we offer a warm, welcoming, accepting, non-judgemental, caring, safe space with a personal understanding of the unique mental health concerns experienced.
The idea to open Obsidian Counselling for Mental Health Well-Being came about from our owner and founder Carolyn's passion to enhance the mental health and emotional well-being of the LGBTQ+ communities here on the Sunshine Coast. During Carolyn's research project for her Masters, the participants in the study identified a lack of services available here on the coast, specifically aimed at our LGBTQ+ communities. Obsidian is more than "gay or gender diverse friendly", Carolyn has personal and lived experience of becoming her Authentic Self as part of the LGBTQ+ communities.
What are some of the unique Mental Health Concerns of those from the Diverse Sexualities, Gender and Kinship (LGBTQ+) Communities that Obsidian works with:
• Self-Identity...Who Am I? • Becoming your Authentic Self •
• Questioning and or Exploring your sexual-orientation or gender, including later in life •
• Internal Conflict • Minority Stress • Internalised Shame • Family Rejection •
• Major Life Change, Disclosing ('Coming-Out') your sexual-orientation or gender to self and others • Integrating former self-identity with a new aspect of Self •
What distinguishes Obsidian from other allied mental health professionals to support my mental health and emotional well-being?
Carolyn's area of research and ongoing training is the unique mental health concerns and their underlying causes that effect the LGBTQ+ communities. Lived experience and her own personal journey through discovering her true sexual-orientation. Carolyn recognises that not all your mental health and emotional well-being concerns are related to your sexual-orientation or gender and focusses on your presenting concerns.
Who does Obsidian provide counselling, therapy and psycho-social support for?
• Anyone from the LGBTQ+ communities over 18 years of age
• Those who are questioning or concealing their true sexual-orientation or gender
• Individuals, Couples, and Relationships
• Parents or siblings of LGBTQ+ children
• Former heterosexual or cisgender partners
• Youth aged 15 to 18 years of age (must have Gillick Competence for informed consent)
• Friends, Family and Allies of the LGBTQ+ Communities
I'm NOT "out" to anyone, will anyone else know what we've talked about in session or that I've been to counselling?
• What is discussed between a counsellor and their client/s is private and confidential, with a few exceptions, such as if Carolyn feels you are at harm to yourself and or others or under direction from a government authority. This will be explained further during the 'Informed Consent' stage before you begin counselling.
• Unless you tell someone you are coming for counselling, no one except you and your counsellor will know.
• Carolyn works under the Code of Ethics set out by PACFA and any other further government guidelines to do with confidentiality and privacy, these are listed under the FAQs tab.
I don't want my GP to know why I want to speak with a counsellor, do I need to tell them or get a mental health care plan from my doctor to make an appointment?
• As above, your GP or anyone else doesn't need to know you are seeking counselling. However, it may be necessary at some point that your GP knows you are attending counselling, but not the why depending on the circumstances but this would be discussed in session.
• You don't need a mental health care plan to attend Obsidian, you can self-refer
• Our fees are capped at the 'gap' between what other Allied Mental Health Professionals charge and the Medicare rebate, see the Fees tab for more information
What evidenced based therapies are used?
Carolyn is an integrative therapist who tailors her therapeutic style to meet your specific needs and goals, evidenced based therapies utilised include: Person Centred Therapy, Solution Focussed Therapy, Motivational Interviewing, Expressive Art Therapy, Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, Mindfulness and others.
~ Bookings can be made by clicking the link at the top of this page, which will take you to an external booking site Coreplus
~ Links for Fees and other FAQs can be found in the menu tab
~ Obsidian is a privately owned and funded counselling studio, bookings essential
~ Meet and Greet FREE 30 minute appointments are available for all New Clients
~ If you would like further information don't hesitate to reach out by clicking the balloon on the bottom of the page and sending us a quick email
RAINBOW OBSIDIAN GROUP for LGBTQ+ 25 Plus
Monday's 5pm -7pm (including Public Holiday's)
~ BOOKINGS ESSENTIAL ~
Rainbow Obsidian for LGBTQ+ 25 Plus is a social & emotional therapeutic support group for those 25 Plus from the Diverse Sexuality and Gender Communities.
The group is also inclusive of those who are questioning or concealing their authentic sexual-orientation or gender.
~ MONDAY’S* ~ 5 – 7pm ~ Expressive Art Therapy ~
No artistic talent required, it’s about the process, not the art produced
The Rainbow Obsidian Groups aim to promote connectedness to others through sharing stories both verbally and through the creative process of making art, in a safe, non-judgemental, accepting and supportive space where you are free to be your authentic SELF.
• You are welcome to attend every group or just come when you like
• Different art therapy activities will happen each week
• Light refreshments will be provided
• Cost: $15 / group and includes art materials
• Facilitated by a Registered Counsellor who identifies
• Registration and bookings essential
To register or express interest in joining the group please email email@example.com or text 0424 850 453 for further information.
Covid-19 update: there are currently Government restrictions in place on numbers allowed at the studio, so bookings are essential. Contact details of those who attend each group are kept confidentially and securely and will be provided to Qld Health upon their request if a positive case or close contact is identified. If you are feeling unwell, I respectively ask that you do not attend the group. Extra cleaning and hygiene standards are in place, and hand santiser is available.